Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Super Printing

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jenchau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2003
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Hello everyone -
    I'm a still photographer but am interested in shooting with a Super 8 as an experiment. Does anyone know whether I can print from Super 8 negatives like I would from photographic negatives, or anything of the sort? Or maybe someone to ask?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Irony of Ironies, I get better results if I make a High-Resolution video transfer of the Super-8 film, then use the Sony-DPP-MS300 Video Printer which will make nice looking 4 x 6 inch prints.

    The Sony Printer acheives 306 DPI for color prints that are 4x6. If you import into an NLE environment, I've heard that the effective DPI is only 72. I don't exactly understand how that works.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The BW images from the "Body Glove" music video were done in this matter, and from images that were several generations form the original, the last two being on VHS! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 29, 2003 06:30 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    ---------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    ---------------

    Originally posted by noodlita:
    Hello everyone -
    I'm a still photographer but am interested in shooting with a Super 8 as an experiment. Does anyone know whether I can print from Super 8 negatives like I would from photographic negatives, or anything of the sort? Or maybe someone to ask?
    Thanks!
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">From Kodak there is mostly reversal film for Super 8 which is ready for projection. You could build a macro set up where you take a picture of the Super 8 frame with a 35mm (or digital) camera. Then you make your print from the 35mm negative.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I went to an actual Hollywood BW photo developing place in the early 90's to try and get some nice BW enlargements from some super-8 frames.

    The place was called Alan's Custom Lab, a very popular place for actor headshots and artistic BW.

    My situation was unique, and the final result was not very good. 10 years later, I can get superior results from my Sony Video Printer, and in color!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •